Fish in coconut gravy with asafoetida flavor is a famous cuisine in the Mangalore coastal region. The smell is irresistible. The asafoetida enhances the taste of the gravy.
Shredded Coconut : 3/4 cup
Red Chillies : 15
Tamarind : Gooseberry sized
Water : as much necessary to grind it into a paste.
Other Ingredients :
Prawns : 1/2 kg
Asafoetida : a pinch
Coconut Oil: 1 tsp
1. Grind the ingredients given in list 1.
2. In a deep bottom pan add the grinded paste along with salt
3. Add the washed and cleaned shrimp into the pan.
4. Once it comes to boil sprinkle it with 1 tsp of coconut oil.
5. Make a paste of asafoetida with 1/2 tsp of water and add it to the gravy.
Notes : I have used the asafoetida paste not the powder.