Thursday, January 2, 2014

World of Books and Power of Reading


“Once upon a time”, was a very common sentence I heard when I was a kid. Every night I would get out of my bed and go and sleep with my grandma where she would transport me to the world of Hindu gods, mythological world of Ramayana and Mahabharata by her stories. Those magical tales would take me into a fantasy world of mystic and magic. This place would stimulate my creative world and transport me to a hidden world with no rules and boundaries. And I always thought we would happily live ever after. As I grew up I came across the detective world of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. I grew up with the magical world of Harry Potter and wished that I had studied in Hogwarts where I could make my life easier with magic. Our imagination changes as we leave the world of fantasy to enter the grown up world of stress, anxiety which can sometimes lead us down the road to a mediocre and mundane way of life.







Discover the Power of Reading

1. Enhanced Smarts

Wow, this may be the most obvious statement of the post, right? Reading helps in almost every area. Those that read have higher GPA’s, higher intelligence, and general knowledge. Reading, in general, makes you smarter, and it keeps you sharp as you age. No matter what you want to do or become, you can’t do it without more knowledge. Reading is an excellent way to get where you want to go.

2. Reading reduces stress

When I’m reading a book, my mind shifts gears. On a stressful day, a book can easily distract me. Fiction is fantastic for this. Reading an awesome fiction book is perfect right before bed time, though sometimes it’s hard to put the book down if it’s really good. Still, you’ll be relaxed.

3. Greater tranquility

Reading can soothe like no other. I would drift away to a sleep full of dreams filled with the mythical creatures from the book.

4. Improved analytical thinking

Analytical thinking is boosted by reading. Readers improve their general knowledge, and more importantly are able to spot patterns quicker.

5. Increased Vocabulary
It’s no secret that reading increases your vocabulary and improves your spelling, but did you know that reading increases your vocabulary more than talking or direct teaching? Reading forces us to look at words that we might not have seen or heard recently. Increased vocabulary is especially crucial for bloggers or writers.

6. Improved memory
I can remember stuff much easier when I’ve been reading consistently. Do I have any scientific data to match this up? Not really. But remembering all the characters in a series is very difficult. (Especially in the trilogy like Lord of the Ring and other series (which has some 14 to 15 books) where new characters turn in up in each and every book)

7. Improved writing skills
Reading improves vocabulary and critical thinking. As I’m constantly surrounding myself with works from people who write much better than me, it makes me want to improve myself. That’s why English classes in High School make you read “the classics”. That’s why art students learn to copy masterpieces, so they know what creating something incredible should feel like. The more you read the better of a writer you’ll become.

8. Books inspire us
A book definitely helps see us things better (self help books and autobiographies) and prioritize our goals. There was a book written by Preeti Shenoy which inspired me to maintain a food blog (though I have not been updating it, it helps me to check recipes that I have tried earlier).


No comments:

Post a Comment