A song came across my mind "Moohika Vahana Modaka Priyam" on Sankasti day. Hence I Googled for Modak's recipe and I found a perfect recipe from Aayi's Recipe's. This Modak is a fried version.
For outer covering:
Maida (All Purpose Flour)-1 cup
Ghee- 1 Tbsp
Salt to taste
Water to mix- 1 cup (Slightly warm)
Jaggery- 1/2 cup
Coconut- 1 cup
White Til (sesame seeds)- 1/4 cup
Ghee- 1 Tsp
1. Mix Maida with ghee and mix it well that it gets applied to the whole dough.
2.Add right amount of water and mix well again (take care that the lumps are avoided) and keep it aside for half an hour.
3. In a pan roast the White til until it turns brown and transfer it in a small bowl.
4. In the same pan heat ghee and add powdered jaggery until it melts (lower the flame or it may get burnt).
5. Add the scraped coconut followed by the White til.
6. Add the powdered Cardamom and mix well.
7. Take the maida dough and roll it into small puri's.
8. Stuff the filling in the puri and shape it like Modak.
9. Deep fry the Modak's